Professor of Statistics
44 West Fourth St
New York, NY 10012
Professor of Statistics, received his B.A. in 1958 from Calcutta University, and in 1967 he was awarded a Ph.D.
by Harvard University . He came to Stern in 1966. He is the author, with
Bertram Price, of Regression Analysis by Example, a successful textbook now in its second edition. This book has
been translated into German and Japanese. He has also written Sensitivity Analysis in Linear Regression with Ali
S. Hadi. His recent book with two other colleagues from New York University is A Casebook for a First Course in
Statistics and Data Analysis. His current research interests are in linear models, robust regresssion, censored-value
regression problems. He is actively engaged in trying to improve the teaching of statistics at schools and universities.
He was a Fulbright Scholar in Kazakhstan at the Kazakhstan Instititute of Management and Economic Planning. He
has worked in the reconstruction of Official Statistics of the former republics of the Soviet Union. He has been
a visiting professor at Stanford, Sloan School of Mgmt.( MIT), Harvard School of Public Health, ETH( Zurich), University
of Tampere, University of Auckland (NZ). He was a Fulbright Senior Scholar in Mongolia working with university
teachers of Statistics and the National Statistical Office.
* My Detailed Bios
- Regression Analysis by Example, 2nd edition, John Wiley, 1992 (with Bertram Price), Japanese edition 1980.
- "New Lamps for Old: An Exploratory Analysis of Olympic Running Times," Applied Statistics, 1982.
- "Estimation of Misclassification Probabilities by Bootstrap Method," Communications in Statistics,
- "On Combining Expert Opinion, " American Journal of Mathematical and Management Management Science,
- "Impact of Simultaneous Deletion of a Variable and an Observation on a Linear Regression Equation,"
Computational Statistics and Data Analysis, 1988.
- Sensitivity Analysis in Linear Regression, John Wiley, 1988 (with Ali Hadi).
- "The Combining of Forecasts Using Recursive Technique," Journal of Forecasting, 1989.
- "A Note of Finding Extreme Points in Multivariate Space," Computational Statistics and Data Analysis,
- "The Effect of Measurement Error on the Observed Least Square Estimate," Linear Algebra and its Applications,
- The Effect of Measurement Error on the Observed Least Squares Estimate. Matrix Analysis and Applications, 14,
- Confidentiality Guaranteed: A Non-Invasive Procedure for Collecting Sensitive Information. Communications in
Statistics (Theory and Methods), Vol. 22, 1993.
- A Casebook For a First Coururse in Statistics and Data Analysis, John Wiley, 1995 (with Mark Handcock and Jeffrey
- "Robust Regression: A Weighted Least Squares Approach," Communications in Statistics,1995.
- Teaching Statistics Effectively. Proceedings of the International Statistical Institute, Istanbul, 1997.
Regression Analysis by Example (3rd Edition). Click here for
Useful Web Data
layout design by email@example.com